Saturday, July 21, 2012

What do you do with a giant zucchini...?






Today I picked a giant green mystery plant out of my garden, and I honestly had no idea what it was. I thought I had planted tiny gourmet cucumbers, and what grew instead was a large, dark green spaghetti squash-sized fruit. The only thing to do was to cut into it and see just what was inside...

It was, as I suspected, a giant zucchini, and I thought to myself "what the heck am I going to do with this?!" {especially since I had more of them forming on the plant} I got creative and came up with 2 delicious meals today, which both incorporated the zucchini as a main ingredient. 

Garden Brushetta with Grilled Zucchini


1 medium tomato
1/2 ripe diced avocado
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1 tbsp canned garden salsa pepper {or any other spicy pepper for some heat}
1/3 cup diced mushrooms
4 large basel leaves chopped
1 slice 1/4" thick giant zucchini
2 tbsp garlic hummus
1 tsp truffle oil
2 tbsp garlic infused vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp italian seasoning 
salt & pepper to your liking
Grill zucchini on George Forman Grill with a sprits of olive oil cooking spray, dust with garlic powder. Mix all other ingredients in bowl, add extra garlic to your liking. Serve mixture on top of zucchini, garnish with rosemary. 
I love this recipe because the zucchini replaces bread for a low carb meal. It is also a good source of vitamins & good fats. It is also great to serve on a hot summer day.

Asian-inspired stir fry salad



1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
1 leaf purple cabbage, chopped
handfull garden snap peas, chopped
1/4 cup broccoli, chopped
3 slices of large red onion 1/4 inch thick
3 large beet leaves, chopped
1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp canned garden salsa pepper {for heat}
pickled ginger
La Choy noodles
sesame seeds

Combine broccoli, onion, beet leaves, mushrooms & pepper in wok with olive oil spray. Cook until veggies are soft. Serve over a bed of romaine lettuce, cabbage & snap peas. Garnish with pickled ginger, noodles & sesame seeds. 


sauce 
1 tbsp white flour
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp powdered ginger

combine ingredients in tiny pan to reduce down to a salad dressing consistency. 












No comments:

Post a Comment